In a lot of ways, your overall intelligence is fairly well established before you ever have anything to do with it. Family genetics, your diet as an infant, vaccinations, illnesses during childhood, your preschool education, even the types of punishment your parents chose to dish out—there are studies linking all these factors and hundreds more to your eventual smarts as an adult. But just as you can work hard in the gym and change your diet to overcome bad physical genetics, you can also train your brain to far exceed its initial intellectual potential. It may not be a muscle, but you can train your brain just like you would your biceps to perform at a significantly higher level.
Here are few ways which can help you increase your intelligence. These are BASICS.
- Seek Novelty – Seek out new activities, experiences, and information. Learn an instrument. Take an art class. Go to a museum. Learn a new subject. When you expose yourself to new things, you create new neural connections that build on each other and create an optimal environment for learning.
- Challenge Yourself – Efficiency hinders cognitive growth. As soon as you start to become proficient in a subject or activity, move on to the next one. Always be challenged by what you are doing. This keeps your brain constantly making new neural connections, creating an optimal environment for learning.
- Think Creatively – Engage both your left and right hemispheres. Think across a wide range of subjects. Make connections between remote ideas. Alternate between conventional and unconventional thinking. Look for unorthodox solutions.
- Do Things the Hard Way – Your brain needs exercise just like your body. technology can weaken your cognitive abilities if relied on too much. Use your memory instead of GPS. Use your spelling skills instead of auto correct. Do the math in your head instead of reaching for the calculator.
- Network – Exposing yourself to a variety of people gives you opportunities to see problems from a new perspective, or offer insights in ways that you hadn’t thought of before. This helps you to think in new and different ways.
So what do you think? Do you want to increase your intelligence? Do you think its possible?