Natural Dandruff Remedies
Dandruff may be the result of a dry scalp, or a skin condition called seborrheic dermatitis. It could also be caused by eczema, psoriasis, or, very commonly, an overgrowth of a yeastlike fungus called malassezia. Drugstore dandruff remedies might include shampoos with zinc pyrithione, which targets fungus and bacteria; ketoconazole, which also fights fungus; coal tar and selenium sulfide, which slow the growth and die-off of skin cells on your scalp; and salicylic acid, which loosens flakes so they can be washed away.
Here’s how to get rid of dandruff using trusted at-home remedies :
- Coconut Oil – As a natural moisturiser, it can soothe an itchy scalp and get rid of the dry white flakes of skin. Can rub the oil directly onto scalp or ingest it.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – Contains powerful anti-fungal properties. Can apply it as a rinse or add to foods. It will kill any fungus at the root of the hair follicle, and can inhibit the growth of yeast and balance pH levels inside and out of the body.
- Baking Soda – It can help restore the natural moisture balance on the surface of the scalp. Simply rub a tablespoon of baking soda into wet hair and massage for a few minutes. Rinse and repeat when needed.
- Olive Oil – Simply warm the oil and massage into the scalp. Wrap your head in a towel and leave to soak for 5-10 minutes. Not only will your scalp benefit from this treatment, your hair will be silky smooth afterwards.
- Aloe Vera – It works as an excellent conditioner to eliminate dryness on the scalp. Not only is it soothing, it contains powerful antiseptic properties which will clear up any bacteria causing the dandruff.
- Aspirin – Aspirin contains acetylsalicylic acid which helps to cut through bacteria and remove dead skin. Simply crush two aspirins into your shampoo and wash as normal.