It’s true to enjoy life you have to be mentally and physically fit. Both mental fitness and physical fitness are interdependent. Most of us love to see our self in the best shape hence we exercise. When we see a successful person, we get impressed with his decision making skills, we spontaneously say, “he is a man with a sound mind in a healthy body.” For physical fitness we do yoga, go to the gym and do various exercises but mental fitness does not require any special or strenuous efforts. Adoring yourself, maintaining self-discipline and following simple steps will benefit you by keeping your brain fit and stimulated. Here are some tips on mental fitness.
Here are few steps to improve your metal fitness :
- Exercise Regularly – Studies have shown that regular exercise can boost your mental fitness in numerous ways. First, it improves the flow of blood to your brain and keeps it healthy. In addition to this, regular exercise has been shown to improve your memory, reasoning and reaction times.
- Meditate Daily – Daily meditation can have a positive impact of your mental fitness. The practice of meditation clears your mind of stressful and negative thoughts and creates an environment where happy, positive thoughts can bloom. It also makes it easier to focus clearly on one thing at a time and process your thoughts more efficiently.
- Read Daily – Reading provides your brain with a point of focus and is a great mental workout. Every sentence you read stimulates the brain to process the words and recall their meaning. It also brings your creativity into play as you visualize the characters and environments in the book, imagine the sounds and more.
- Rest & Relax Regularly – Scheduling some time in to rest and relax each day allows your brain to rest, recharge and refresh. This not only gives your mental fitness a boost but also helps you feel much more energized overall. Good activities for resting and relaxing include taking a hot bath, listening to music, meditating and reading.
- Slow Down your Breathing – Slowing down your breathing is a simple but effective technique for improving your mental fitness. By focusing on your breathing you instantly clear your mind of thought and reduce your stress levels. Over time, this allows you to become much calmer and more centered.
- Get Atleast 6 Hours of Sleep every Night – Studies have shown that sleep enhances your mental fitness in numerous ways. First, it makes you much more receptive to new information and allows you to process it with maximum efficiency. Second, it has a positive effect on your concentration levels during the day. Finally, sleep helps lower your stress levels and protects your brain from the harmful effects of stress.
- Fill Up on Healthy Fats – Around two thirds of your brain is made up from cholesterol and fat. Eating healthy fats is essential for optimal brain function as your brain uses to build new cell membranes, create signal pathways and much more. To ensure that your diet is rich in healthy fats, make sure you’re eating plenty of dairy products, fatty fish, nuts, seeds and red meat.
- Eat Lots of Fruits & Vegetables – Fruits and vegetables are packed full of vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients. Studies have shown that these powerful nutrients support your brain and allow it to function optimally. In addition to this, they help protect against brain disorders such as Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease and keep your brain healthy.
- Challenge Your Brain – Challenging your brain with brain training games such as crosswords or Sudoku is an excellent way to enhance your mental fitness. Not only do these game test and improve your brain’s speed and memory but they’re also incredibly fun.
- Be Social – Socializing and engaging with other people on a regular basis keeps your brain active and stimulated. During a conversation your brain is constantly processing new ideas, creating responses all of which test your brain and boost your mental fitness.
It is never too late to have a happy, healthy life. The most important thing is to live an active, positive and mentally fit life. Use these mental fitness tips effectively.