Nap Time Is Important

“You must sleep sometime between lunch and dinner, and no halfway measures,” wrote Winston Churchill.

Like Churchill, a lot of us are dedicated nappers. In fact, the older we get, the more likely we are to nap. That may seem like an innocent enough pleasure. But for decades researchers have been studying napping to understand how it affects everything from health to nighttime sleep patterns, and a few studies have raised red flags, including one that linked napping to health problems. But how long is good?

Here are some of the common nap timings and their effects :

• 10-20 minutes – This power nap is ideal for a boost in alertness and energy. This length usually limits you to the lighter stages of non rapid eye movement (NREM) sleep, making it easier to hit the ground running after waking up.
  • 30 minutes – Some studies show sleeping this long may cause sleep inertia, a hangover like groggy feeling that lasts for up to 30 minutes after waking up, before the nap’s restorative benefits become apparent.
  • 60 minutes – This nap is best for improvement in remembering facts, faces and names. It includes slow wave sleep, the deepest type. The downside, some grogginess upon waking up.
  • 90 minutes – This is a full cycle of sleep, meaning the lighter and deeper stages, including REM (rapid eye movement) sleep, typically likened to the dreaming stage. This leads to improved emotional and procedural memory (i.e. riding a bike, playing the piano) and creativity. A nap of this length typically avoids sleep inertia, making it easier to wake up.

Reference : https://lifehacker.com/how-long-to-nap-for-the-biggest-brain-benefits-1251546669

1. Manish Malu says:

Yes.. it is important to recharge yourself by a power Nap…

Yes it is. While naps do not necessarily make up for inadequate or poor quality nighttime sleep, a short nap of 20-30 minutes can help to improve mood, alertness and performance.

2. Mrs ESTJ says:

I have never ever managed to nap. I don’t know why. It’s the same on planes, trains and cars – unless it’s dark and I’m lying in a bed, sleep is not happening. I’m very envious of nappers!

Its okay. Having some peaceful mindful time during the day is equally effective and provides the same benefits.

3. clcouch123 says:

This is a skill I’m working on. I appreciate the help!

I am glad you found my post informative and thought provoking.

4. Kathy B says:

Actually i love taking naps

You are on the right track Kathy. In a recent study, researchers say napping two or three times a week might be good for your heart health. Experts say daily napping may be a sign of inadequate nighttime sleep or an underlying health problem. One expert says naps should be shorter than 30 minutes or longer than 90 minutes.

5. But they normally say right it is not good to sleep in the afternoon

Studies show that an afternoon nap is great for adults, too. There’s no need to feel lazy for indulging in daytime sleep. A short nap in the mid-afternoon can boost memory, improve job performance, lift your mood, make you more alert, and ease stress.

6. Rambler says:

I usually nap for about 60 minutes. My personal experience has been when I have slept for about 90 minutes I wake up with a kind of lathargy and dullness which takes a lot of time to get over. My father always naps for about 15/20 minutes. I have seen my nap pattern has changed a lot with age, from refusing to take naps, to long 90-120min naps to now almonst constant 60 min ones.

Yes nap time does change with age.

7. Dragthepen says:

Yes. Yes. To nap time.👍😊

Yup Nap Time…Yayyy

8. Great information 👍

Sleep experts have found that daytime naps can improve many things: increase alertness, boost creativity, reduce stress, improve perception, stamina, motor skills and accuracy, enhance your sex life, aid in weight loss, reduce the risk of heart attack, brighten your mood and boost memory.