You may charge into the day full of energy. But by midafternoon a wave of sleepiness hits you. You find it hard to keep your eyes open, or you find yourself yawning. Many people experience these late-in-the-day energy lags, but you can take steps to prevent them.
Here are suggestions for healthy ways to keep your energy flowing throughout the day :
- Don’t skip breakfast.
- Eat a healthy lunch high in protein and low in carbs/fat.
- Stay fully hydrated.
- Take an early afternoon walk in the sun.
- Splash cold water on your face when you are starving to feel the energy slump.
- Switch tasks to re-stimulate your brain.
- Stand as much as possible.
- Have energy boosting snacks like nuts, cheese. Avoid sugar.
- Talk to someone.
- Drink caffeine in moderation, like a cup of coffee or green tea, or drink a bottle of kombucha.
- Wear bright colours to psychologically trick yourself into feeling more energised.
- If you’re alone, take your shoes and socks off, and roll your toes in a circular motion.
- Chew gum to stimulate yourself.
- Take a 10-minute meditation break.
- Declutter your desk, as clutter can mentally drain your energy.