Working out regularly and intensively is the key to a chiseled body and peak physical fitness. However, if you want to get into the best possible shape and avoid injuries, allowing your muscles some time to recover is essential. With the right approaches, you may be able to speed up muscle recovery after a workout and improve your overall fitness in no time.
Here is a checklist of what you should be doing after a run to speed up your recovery :
- 0-5 minutes after your run, Rehydrate!
- 5-15 minutes : Get a good 10 minutes stretch in. Lengthening your muscles, particularly the front and back of your legs, hips, and calves, will help to loosen in acid build up and reduce the amount of soreness that you will feel.
- 15-30 minutes : Have a high carb diet and a protein snack. You want to be sure to eat within 30 minutes of finishing the run.
- 30 minutes – 1 hour : Take a cold shower. Cold showers greatly help to reduce any inflammation that you body will be trying to fight from running. The key in any recovery program is to aggressively fight inflammation in order to promote speedy recovery.
- 1-2 hours after your run : Have a proper meal full of healthy complex carbohydrates, fats and protein.
- Before you go to bed at night : Try to get another round of stretching in. Not only will this again help to ward of delayed onset muscle soreness but it will also help you sleep better. Aim for 7-8 hours of sleep.