There is no getting away from the fact that the human brain is an astonishing piece of kit and whilst we actually use more of our brains than some people may have us believe, scientists are still a long way from discovering the full potential of it. Many of us experience days where even the most simple of decisions can become very hard work, or alternatively we suddenly lose the ability to remember things. This can be frustrating, especially if you aren’t of an age where you can be forgiven for doing so.
We now know that brain problems that were previously seen as irreversible can be improved, and sometimes even cured. So if you’re hoping to boost your brain power, here are few things that you might want to try :
- Dress to Impress – Sometimes appearances really are everything. A number of psychological studies have found wearing clothing that is more formal than usual encourages people to think conceptually.
- Walk Two Miles a Day – As we explore our environments, our brains are in a more “neuroplastic” state – ready to absorb more information and releasing growth factors which act as fertilizer for the brain.
- Stop Googling Everything – Is the internet making us more stupid? It depends on how you use it. The easier that information is to find, the less likely it is to stick, as you’re not engaging your brain power.
- Learn a Language – Maintaining an aging brain means taxing exercises to keep the mind sharp.
- Eat Olives and Nuts – According to research, eating olives and nuts – both rich in vitamin E, might help maintain a powerful brain throughout your lifetime.
- Practice Yoga – Aside from working out the kinks in your back, studies have shown yoga has measurable benefits for improving memory.
- Good Sleep Hygiene – As more gadgets creep into the bedroom, sleeping patterns are being disrupted – stopping us from getting the rest our brain needs. During sleep, brain cells eliminate toxins that inhibit our brain’s operating power.
- Stop Multitasking – As the saying goes, a jack-of-all-trades is a master of none and judging attention between numerous jobs has a detrimental effect on the brain.
There are indeed uncountable ways to improve brain power. Just focus on what you are doing and how interesting you find it. Observe your own brain and how you are reacting to certain things. Even reading can stimulate your brain in a great way. So, try new things and get involved in activities that use your brain more such as playing chess or puzzles.
Categories: Personal Development