Homemade Facial Cleanser
One of the benefits of making a homemade facial cleanser is avoiding any detergent ingredients called surfactants. Surfactants are responsible for creating the lather you expect to see in soaps and many liquid cleansers, but the problem is they strip the natural lipid layer from the skin’s surface and destroy its protective barrier. The good news is you don’t need surfactants to get your skin clean! And there are lots of natural ingredients you can use instead.
Here is a simple recipe for making homemade facial cleanser :
- 1/2 cup (110 g) clear jojoba oil
- 2 tbsp (29 g) white beeswax pellets
- 1 tsp (5 g) Olivem 1000
- 1/2 tsp (2.25 g) organic rose wax
- 1/8 tsp (0.33 g) pink rose petal powder
How To Prepare
- Melt the wax. In a double boiler over medium heat, melt the beeswax (or sunflower wax) and Olivem 1000. Stir frequently to break up any lumps.
- Add the jojoba oil and rose powder. Once completely melted, remove the mixture from heat and stir in the jojoba oil and rose petal powder. Let cool for a few minutes.
- Add the rose wax. Lastly, add the rose wax or rose essential oil. If using rose wax, mix until the wax has melted. If at any point the mixture begins to harden, place it back over low heat briefly and mix until liquified. Only the lowest possible heat, as you don’t want to damage the jojoba oil or the aromatic constituents of the rose wax.
- Let the cleansing balm set. While your mixture is still liquid, transfer it to a small glass container with a lid. Place the lid on the container and leave your jar somewhere where it won’t be disturbed for at least an hour. No need to put it into the fridge – the wax will harden your balm at room temperature.
How To Use
- Start with dry skin. Scoop a generous amount out of the jar using a clean cosmetic spoon or spatula. You can also use your fingers, but only if your hands are clean and thoroughly dry.
- Massage your balm into your skin with gentle, circular motions, and watch as the balm quickly melts.
- It’s good to take your time here, since facial massage has so many benefits for both your skin and your lymphatic system! And the longer you linger, the more time you get to enjoy the beautiful rose fragrance.