Are anger management problems making life difficult for you and the people in your life? This behavior is rooted in the mind, and for whatever reason it has become a deeply conditioned reflex. These positive self talk is here to help you retake control of yourself and break free from anger.
To use these anger management self talk effectively we recommend you choose 2 or 3 of them that really pop out at you, these will become your “go to” self talk for whenever you feel yourself losing control and becoming angry. Simply take a deep breath, repeat these lines to yourself, and try to calm yourself down. Your anger will pass, and every time you use this strategy it will become easier and easier to diffuse your anger. We want you to know that we are right here with you, and we believe 100% that you can do this.
Here’s your list of positive statements
- I don’t need to prove myself in this situation. I can stay calm.
- As long as I keep my cool, I’m in control of myself.
- No need to doubt myself; what other people say doesn’t matter. I’m the only person who can make me mad or keep me calm.
- My anger is a signal. It’s time to talk to myself and relax.
- I don’t need to feel threatened here.
- Nothing says I have to be competent and strong all the time. It’s okay to feel unsure or confused.
- It’s impossible to control other people and situations. the only thing I can control is myself and how I express my feelings.
- It’s okay to be uncertain or insecure sometimes. I don’t need to be in control of everything and everybody.
- If people criticize me, I can survive that. Nothing says I have to be perfect.
- If this person wants to go off the wall, that’s their thing. I don’t need to respond to their anger or feel threatened.
- It’s okay to walk away from a fight.
- It’s nice to have other people’s love and approval, but even without it, I can still accept and like myself.
- It’s okay to make mistakes.
- People are going to act the way they want to, not the way I want them to.
- I feel angry, that must mean I have been hurt, scared or have some other threatening feeling underneath the anger.
Being in control of your emotions and that actions they provoke can help you lead a life that is calmer, happier and healthier.