Healthy Diet = Healthy Skin. Here is a guide to the vitamins required for healthy skin and how you can include these vitamins in your plant based diet. These vitamins and minerals are crucial for the proper formation and function of skin cells, and are beneficial in treating conditions such as acne, psoriasis, rosacea, and may even prevent sun damage and wrinkles. Many of my patients have experienced significant improvements in their skin health when addressing the nutrient quality of their daily diet.
- Vitamin A – A rich antioxidant found in many yellow fruits and vegetables. It helps repair damaged skin and is anti-aging. Vegetable sources : carrots, butternut squash, sweet potato, spinach, leafy greens, pumpkin, kale. Fruit sources : cantaloupe melon, mango, peace, apricots.
- Vitamin C – Providing antioxidant properties, Vitamin C is anti-aging and maintain collagen levels in the skin. It is an anti-inflammatory. Vegetable sources : peppers, watercress, cabbage, broccoli, tomatoes, cauliflower, leafy greens. Fruit sources : strawberries, papaya, oranges, lemon and mango.
- Vitamin D – Known as the sunshine vitamin, vitamin D regulates our absorption of calcium. Sunlight is the main source of Vitamin D. There are a few plant sources too, such as flax seeds, sunflower seeds, spirulina, mushrooms.
- Vitamin E – An antioxidant that helps damaged skin by tightening free radicals. It is anti aging. Vegetable sources : dark leafy greens, spinach, kale, chard. Fruit sources : avocado, kiwi fruit. Nuts and seeds : sunflower seeds, almonds.
- Vitamin B – B complex are necessary for healthy skin and hair. Know more about them here.
So which of these vitamins are you already including in your diet?
Reference : http://hipsleygreen.co.uk/beauty-news-2018/