People read your body language, often via instinct and without thinking. It’s because our poses and postures are a great source of information. They reflect our mood and our confidence level. We stand and walk a certain way when we’re confident and another way when we’re nervous. In a glance, most people can discern if we’re apprehensive or outgoing, relaxed or aggressive. With a little practice, we can learn the tips to show confidence through body language so that we always appear confident, capable and ready.
Here are a few things you are do today to appear more confident. Fake it till you make it :
- Act The Part – Playing the part you need to play to achieve what you want. That’s not selfish. It’s clever. In fact, it’s what truly confident people do. They act. And there’s nothing wrong with that.
- Stay True to Yourself – Acting doesn’t mean being underhand or false. Nothing changes in terms of your thoughts, your opinions, your beliefs or your values. What does change though is the way you get your point across.
- Know Yourself – To be confident at work, for some people the act involves significant change. It requires a major switch in the way they communicate. For others, it means just a subtle tweak to their body language.
- Visualize Beforehand – Visualize how you will look and sound. Know what will need to change in terms of body language, voice and demeanor. Prepare by visualizing the scenario and picturing how you will be different.
- Back Yourself – Back yourself to commit to the change. Walk the walk. Make a real conscious effort to change the way you come across. Do this regardless of the challenge you’re facing at work or in a social situation.
- Try This – Slow everything down; your speech, walk, hand movements. Straighten your posture. Smile more. Be super-conscious of the act you are portraying and the audience. Subtle tweaks are often all that’s required.
Use these tips on how to look confident and feel more confident while you do the deeper inner work as well so these techniques become automatic for you.