People being positive all the time is just as toxic, narrow-minded and limiting as people who are negative all the time. Only instead of them looking at only negative things, people who are too positive will refuse to look at, address or allow anything negative in their life. “Oh, my car got wrecked by someone rear-ending me! Guess this is a new opportunity to buy a different car.””Lost my job? That just means there is a different opportunity out there waiting for me! Everything happens for a reason. I’m sure something will come up and my bills will get paid somehow.”
Toxic Positivity is just another inappropriate coping mechanism / disassociation when faced with problems, allowing the person to distance themselves from it rather than be forced to deal with things they don’t want to. The kind of people who absolutely do not want to hear you being negative in any way, least it spread to them like some kind of negativity flu.
Here are a few ways on which you or anyone you know might be showing signs of toxic positivity :
- You will get over it soon.
- Just be positive.
- Positive vibes only.
- stop being negative all the time.
- Think happy thoughts.
- Never quit. Never give up. Ever!
- Just stop being sad and be happy instead.
- Always look for the positive, even in a negative situation.
- Don’t talk about what’s wrong. Just forget it and stay positive.
- Failure is never an option.
- Everything will get sorted by the end.
- I did it. So you can do it too.
- Get rid of negativity.
- It could be much worse.
Can you identify with any of these signs?
Reference : https://themindsjournal.com/toxic-positivity/