Tips to Improve You Will Power

Willpower is something that we don’t think about very often, but has a profound impact on our lives. Think about it – just about everything you do requires a certain amount of willpower. Even getting out of bed in the morning takes a (very) small amount of willpower. For most people, routine daily tasks are simple enough that they don’t need to look very hard to find the needed will power to get them done. Harder jobs, however, like quitting smoking, can use every ounce we have and then some.

The main trick is to make your environment conducive to exercising will power and here are a few tricks how we can do this :

• It is easier to practice will power in a brightly lit environment.
  • You are more likely to have more willpower if you are well rested and healthy (diet, fitness).
  • You are also more likely to have more willpower of you are in a good mood.
  • If you are thinking about slacking off or succumbing to your unhealthy habit, don’t think about not doing it (which will only make you think about it more). Instead think about something else completely different.
  • Rather than trying to completely suppress your desires/temptations (which will only make you want it more), simply try delaying it.
  • Create barriers for your worst temptations. Decrease barriers that may prevent you from practising healthy habits.
  • Will power works best when you aren’t too unrealistically strict to overly ambitious.
  • Break into small, manageable steps.
  • When your will power muscle is low, practice mindful breathing exercises. Take a few moments to inhale and exhale deeply while being fully aware of your emotions.
  • Keep in mind that will power is a muscle that needs to be constantly used. Challenge yourself without overdoing it and don’t forget to give yourself mental break to replenish your will power supply.

Reference : https://thesecretyumiverse.wonderhowto.com/how-to/increase-your-willpower-9-mind-hacks-for-better-self-control-0150741/

1. gpavants says:

Garima,

What internal battles we all must face, but the potential for growth is great. What is biggest challenge of will on your list you have to face? I think mine is making good barriers.

Thanks Gary

Controlling my thoughts has been my biggest challenge Gary. I have no limits in thinking what could happen and how it could happen. Its is usually anxiety provoking.

1. gpavants says:

I totally understand. The blessing of having an active and creative mind can be a challenge( I didn’t say curse) at night when ideas keep coming, right?

Yes, not just the night, happens to me when I reading, working, even exercising sometimes haha. But I have learned to some extent and still learning to have positive expectancy for everything and then let go. If it happens its good, if it doesn’t happen..then even better 🙂

3. gpavants says:

Some of my best ideas for my book come from biking and running. Yes, even(oops) in church. So, it’s learning how to navigate the thoughts as needed. The mind is an amazing thing.

Yes it is amazing. It can do wonderful things for us.

2. Love the idea to make it easier on ourselves by creating opportunities for success. Well written as always. Thank you🌺

The one thing I noticed is that when I reach a goal, I create a bigger goal, and in the end, I see life as an endless movement. There is no end to discovery and being able to do things better. When you realize this, you start shooting for the stars instead of wanting to give up. For example, this year I reached my fitness goals and now I am working on more advanced fitness techniques. Thank you Suzette for stopping by. Much appreciated. I am glad you found the post informative.

1. A pleasure. Your posts are informative and well written.Keep on.❤

Thank you.

Glad you liked the post Prakash.

3. Danix Kamau says:

Thank you for this post. Personally, I have found that breaking goals into small achievable bits is very effective in achieving the complete picture. I hope to continue reading more of your posts and learning/relating more from you.

Before breaking down your goals into actionable steps, naturally, you need to establish your goals properly, not just to have them on your mind. This means that your goals should be as precise as they can be. For example, let’s say you need to write your dissertation, but it’s so hard to start. I am glad you found the post informative.

4. Amazing post. Where are you from?

Thank you. I am glad you found the post informative.

1. No problem. Do you live in the UK?

Nopes 🙂 India

3. Ahh ok. How has the virus been in india?

Not great.

5. Aww that’s not good. Are you working from home? Are your family and friends ok? Things have gone normal here.

All is well here. Thank you

7. Good glad to hear that. Do you work?

Yes, I am a GP.

9. Is it stressful being a Gp with the virus

10. Yes I can only imagine. Do you have lots of help? India is affected very badly at the moment?

We have higher recovery rates!

12. Aww amazing that is so good to hear