Vagus Nerve Stimulation May Be the Key to Improving Your Health. Inflammation is the underlying cause of most diseases as the immune system launches an inflammatory response to protect cells when it senses danger. However, detecting the initial cause of that inflammation can prove to be the more significant challenge. The Vagus Nerve connects to many body systems and has a significant influence on systemic inflammation and overall health.
Here are few natural techniques for vagus nerve stimulation :
- Exercise – Exercise is good for your brain’s cognitive faculties, your mental health and your gut flow, thanks to its ability to stimulate the vagus nerve.
- Deep, Slow Breathing – Breathing slowly and deeply activates your vagus nerve and send messages to your brain that helps lower your blood pressure and heart rate.
- Thoughtful Meditation – You can improve your mood simply by silently repeating positive phrases about your friends and family.
- Chill Out – Exposure to cold dampens the fight and flight response and increase the erst and digest response, like taking a cold shower or drinking ice water.
- Singing – Humming, chanting and singing are all exercises that increase heart rate variability (HRV). Higher HRV is linked with “reduced morbidity and mortality” and “improved psychological well being and quality of life”. Singing also increases oxytocin, aka love hormone, because it’s an activity that brings people closer together.
- Laughing – Laughter is a natural immune booster which, like singing, can increase HRV in a group setting.
- Gargling – Gargling with water stimulates the muscles of the pallet and has been shown to improve working memory performances.
- Yoga – Disciplines like yoga increase vagus nerve activity to help keep you calm and are particularly effective for people suffering from anxiety or depression.