Rules for a Disciplined Life

Many of us are longing for more discipline in our lives. We crave order and peace. We want to be better managers of our time and life. We want to follow through with our good intentions. Life throws curveballs. There are job losses, babies born, illnesses, moves, and projects that can get one off course. But ultimately, whether or not I live a disciplined life is dependent solely upon me and the choices I make on a daily basis. Those are tough words to swallow. And I could wallow in frustration over my short-comings and failures. However, instead, I want to let it motivate me. I am the problem, but I am also the solution.

Here are a few rules for a disciplined life :

• No Zero Days – What’s a zero day? A zero day is when you don’t do a single fucking thing towards whatever dream or goal or want or whatever that you got going on. No more zeros. I’m not saying you gotta bust an essay out everyday, that’s not the point. The point I’m trying to make is that you have to make yourself, promise yourself, that the new system you live in is a Non-Zero system. Didn’t do anything all fucking day and it’s 11:58pm? Write one sentence. One pushup. Read one page of that chapter. One. Because one is non zero.
  • Be Grateful the Three You’s – There’s the past you, the present you, and the future you. If you wanna love someone and have someone love you back, you gotta learn to love yourself, and the three you’s are the key. Be grateful to the past you for the positive things you’ve done. And do favours for the future you like you would for your best bro.
  • Forgive Yourself – Maybe you got all the know-how, money, ability, strength, and talent to do whatever if you wanna do. But let’s say you still didn’t do it. Now you’re giving yourself shit for not doing what you need to, to be who you want to. Heads up champion, being disappointed in yourself causes you to be less productive. Tried your best to have a non zero day yesterday and it failed? So what. I forgive you, precious self. I forgive you. But today? Today is a nonzero masterpiece to the best of my ability for future self. This one’s for you, future homes. Forgiveness man, use it. I forgive you. Say it out loud.
  • Exercise and Books – Pretty standard advice but when you exercise daily you actually get smarter. When you exercise you get high from endorphins (thanks body). When you exercise you clear your mind. When you exercise you are doing your future self a huge favour. Exercise is a leg on a three legged stool. Feel me? As for books, almost every fucking thing we’ve all ever thought of, or felt, or gone through, or wanted, or wanted to know how to do, or whatever, has been figured out by someone else. Get some books.

Reference : https://i.pinimg.com/564x/42/81/d1/4281d12fbb5729924d6850be74506a4f.jpg

1. ljb2 says:

Hi 👋 Great Blog, very motivational and inspiring for a new beginning. Liam 😊. Have a good day 🌄

Thank you Liam. Glad you liked the post and blog.

2. theOwl30 says:

I was reluctant to write this. I say it without any anger. More from (hmm, how might i say it?)… I guess from A) curiosity and B) brainstorming and “trying to find happiness “another way”.

It’s this: imagine a financially secure, and healthy retirement. No more boss, no meetings, no monthly quotas, no competition with co-workers, no long hours, no constantly setting Goals.

This could finally be “Heaven on Earth” for A LOT of people! Free time! No deadlines. They can do what’s FUN, for them, finally., Instead of just worrying about productivity. Discarding all of that. No goals to meet. But many would call that a zero day, no goals.

But who cares? Why should happiness be only measured by accomplishment? This does NOT mean we should “actively resist” accomplishments. Do them, if they are fun for you, but I would enjoy the Freedom of not-having-to-measure-up!!–to the boss, to the company, to the IMAGE of a “empowered go-getter”…it’s all too politically correct. So…..you didn’t do one darn thing today toward any goal. So what? If you spent half the afternoon napping, it’s fine, as long as you enjoyed it. It doesn’t mean you will nap everyday and not do anything. But—-why have goals at all? Why not focus more on pleasurable activities than on productivity? This is YOUR time. Some philosophers say we shouldn’t even wait until retirement, but that we should spend a great deal more time to stop and smell the roses…ie….pleasure and what brings you Joy, rather than accomplishing goals. If people say accomplishing goals makes them happy, I do acknowledge that, but I also add: –but what if you could never tell anyone when you accomplished a goal? If the accomplishment is so you can let others know you accomplished “it”, then that would seem to be more about feeding ones who and “looking good”. Why not live Joyfully, like we are on vacation, much more of the time? And then—

I imagine myself on my deathbed. While I would not want to look back on my life and not having had any accomplishements, but—-i would prefer to say: I had some good accomplishnents, but I also had even more every-day pleasure and Joy! First-time w/ no goals or quotas helps me with that. 😄

If your goal is to focus more on pleasurable activities, then so be it. See by goals I mean something that you look forward to doing everyday. And I like your thoughts on looking back at your life. We all have different ways of living our lives and that are primarily derived from our surroundings. I respect yours completely. It has given me another perspective to life. Thank you Owl30.

3. theOwl30 says:

Oops. Tablet wants to auto-correct, often with the wrong word. Should be: FREE-time w/ no goals helps me with that. And above: feeding ones EGO, not who….

Glad you liked it. Discipline allows us to be able to set, and achieve, goals better. Trait self-control is positively related to affective management of goal conflict. That means that even when problems and obstacles arise, a disciplined person can get through it and reach their goals with higher rates of fulfilment after.

4. Ms.H says:

Thanks for this. This is what I need right now. Keep inspiring everyday.

Thank you. I will try my best!!..

5. thesupermode says:

This is so wonderfully written. I am introduced to the concept of “Non Zero Days” for the first time here. I’ll implement this in my life right away, there’s no excuse for lack of time anyway to convert a zero day into a non zero one. Thank you for sharing this.

You don’t need to have been born under a lucky star, or with incredible wealth, or with terrific contacts and connections, or even special skills but what you do need to succeed in any of your life goals is self-discipline. Unfortunately, most people give in to the two worst enemies of success: they take the path of least resistance (in other words, they’re lazy) and/or they want immediate gratification: they don’t consider the long-term consequences of the actions they take today.

6. Sparkles ⭐️ says:

Discipline is key to a successful and happy life. My life was quite disorganised some years back and it would add to my anxiety and stress. Slowly I set some rules and now I actually enjoy being disciplined. The key is the set rules which u also enjoy so that you will follow them through.

Discipline brings stability and structure into a person’s life. If there were no discipline, people would do whatever they wanted and make mistakes without putting the consideration of others first and foremost. It promotes good human behavior to better society and make it a more enjoyable place for everyone to live

7. clcouch123 says:

Self-forgiveness is huge, isn’t it? Maybe it should be so we don’t see it as unimportant. Still, I took classes in college about communication, but there weren’t any about forgiving oneself. Maybe there should have been. I think by and large we don’t know how to do it. Your passage above helps.

But, many of us find it more difficult to forgive ourselves than to forgive others. Unforgiveness creates anger, resentment, stress, sleep issues, and even physical problems. Forgiveness gives us the power to move out of the past and into the present and gives us control over our lives.