When people feel emotional pain, the same areas of the brain get activated as when people feel physical pain: the anterior insula and the anterior cingulate cortex. In one study, these regions were activated when people experienced an experimental social rejection from peers. In another more real-life study, the same regions were activated when people who had recently broken up with romantic partners viewed pictures of the former partner.
Here are some body areas where emotions are stored as pain :
- Brow – Intuitive centre, emotional expression.
- Forehead – Intellectual expression.
- Eyes – Show how we see the world, nearsighted is more withdrawn, farsighted is less inner oriented, windows to the soul. What are you not prepared to see? Are you looking at things from an unhelpful perspective?
- Nose – Related to the heart (coloration and bulbousness), sense and small, sexual response self recognition.
- Mouth – Survival issues, how we take in nourishment – security, capacity to take in new ideas.
- Jaw – Tension indicates blockage of emotional and verbal communication, fear or ease of expression.
- Face – Expresses the various “masks” of our personality, shows how we face the world.
- Ears – Our capacity to hear, have acupuncture points for the whole body. What is it you are unwilling to hear? Are you avoiding listening to your inner guidance.
- Throat – Communication issues. Have you swallowed your anger and hurt? Are you expressing your feelings? Are you telling the truth?
- Neck – Thought and emotions come together, stiffness is due to withheld statements.
- Shoulders – Are you carrying too many burdens? Do you always put yourself last in your list of priorities? Is your life too stressful?
- Chest – Relationship issues, heart and love emotions, respiration and circulation. Also send esteem and feelings of worthlessness.
- Diaphragm (solar plexus) – Power issues, emotional control issues, power and wisdom centre.
- Abdomen – Seat of emotions, contains our deepest feelings, centre of sexuality, digestive system.
- Genitals – Related to root chakra containing Kundalini, survival issues, fear of life.
- Shoulders – Where we carry the weight of the world, fear of responsibility, woman in particular store a lot here.
- Arms and Hands – Are extensions of the heart centre, express love an emotion. Arms : Express the heart centre love, enable us to move, connection to the external world. Who and what are you holding on to? Are you faired to let go? Who or what would you like to embrace?
- Upper Arm – Strength to act, fear of being discouraged. Elbow : Connects the strength of the upper arm to the action of the forearm.
- Forearm – Means of attuning goals, fear of inferiority.
- Hands – Associated with giving (right hand) and receiving (left hand) and the details of life. It represents holding onto reality, reaching goals, fear of action. What issues or situation can you not handle?
- Back – Where we store all our unconscious emotions and excess tension. Associated with stored anger and resentment, feeling unsupported and trying to be perfect, as well as money issues and undefinable fears.
- Upper Back – particularly between the shoulder blades, we carry stored anger.
So where are you storing your pain?