In case you haven’t figured it out yet, “being an adult” is pretty much a sham. Despite the cultural weight that we give “growing up” and “having it together,” pretty much nobody ever actually grows up or has it together. The most sophisticated person you know has, within the last 24 hours, probably eaten cereal without using their hands, laughed at a fart, or briefly worried about being attacked by a ghost. This isn’t to knock your friend — it’s just to say that the external trappings of maturity are basically an illusion.
Here are top adulting life hacks :
- Buy an air mattress 12+ inches off the ground and a memory foam bed topper or two. It’ll cost hundreds less than a mattress and you’ll sleep just as good if not better.
- Wash your sheets once a week if you can. Yes, you will notice a difference.
- Never study/read/scroll through social media on your bed. Your brain associates activities with places. Associate your bed with sleeping.
- Grocery outlets are not below you. You can get the same produce at a steep discount, allowing those on a college sized budget to eat better.
- Invest in quality products (laptops, school supplies, clothes etc) but don’t be outlandish. A laptop that will last you through a doctoral degree is one thing and a expensive branded pair of jeans is another.
- Never go to sleep with makeup on if you can help it.
- Cleanse, exfoliate, tone, then moisturise.
- Tea tree oil shampoos twice a week will heavily combat dandruff and scalp flakes.
- Invest in a pair of good sneakers and hiking shoes. Look for pairs at thrift stores and outlets.
- Always carry an umbrella, a lip balm, change and a snack.
- Therapy does not mean you are weak or need help. Sometimes talking things out can let your brain focus on more important things.
- Stay positive.
Which one of these adulting practices do you follow?